So many lizard thoughts to clean up, so little time. Here’s another example as you spring clean your mind.
Lizard thought: Just because you have a lot of clients now doesn’t mean you always will. It won’t be long before your business dries up and you won’t have any.
See how sneaky Blanche is? Even when things are going well, she’ll find a way to try to bring me down. Here’s how I dealt with this one.
1) Is this thought true?
No. The number of clients I have shifts from week to week but business has never dried up. Not even when the economy was awful.
2) Can I absolutely be sure that this thought is true?
Like I said in #1, no.
3). Who am I with this thought that just because business is going well now doesn’t mean it always will?
I feel defeated. I feel like no matter what I do, there will always be something that could go wrong. I feel a sinking feeling in my chest.
4) Who am I without this thought?
I am free, liberated. Enjoying my work and happy about my successes.
Turnaround: Just because you have a lot of clients now doesn’t mean you always will. It won’t be long before your business expands and you have tons of clients.
This could be just as true as my original thought because:
1. Some days I have to put people on a waiting list because I don’t have enough openings.
2. I’m working part-time now but when A. gets older I can see more and more people, meaning that my business will expand.
3. The more people I coach, the more referrals I get and my business could expand this way as well.
4. I’ve hardly done any advertising and still see new people every month. When I learn more about advertising and start marketing my company better, there’s a good chance I’ll continue to expand.
Lizards aren’t very bright. They certainly can’t be trusted to help you celebrate your successes so don’t count on them to. Don’t let your lizard dismiss your accomplishments-work on your lizard thoughts.